Ahhh, New Years Eve. We meet again.
You always show up a lot faster than I thought possible, and this year was no exception.
2013 was jam-packed with surprises for us. Car accidents (and then new car shopping), pregnancy (and then actually staying pregnant), appliance failures (and blinding rage on my part), and an unexpected c-section (epidurals are a.maz.ing).
Sarah at The Mamas Rapscallion stole these questions from someone who probably stole them from someone else, who probably stole them from a MySpace survey in 2005.
And so I will steal them now.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before? I got pregnant (been there, done that) but then I STAYED THAT WAY, hollaaaa!
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I think I made some resolutions? I know I wanted to learn to sew, which I didn’t do, but I did finally get a sewing machine, so that’s a step in the right direction. I don’t have anything specific in mind for 2014 — if I remember to brush my teeth every day, I consider that a success. Throw a shower in there, and ooooohweee, Momma’s takin’ care of business that day. The bar has been set pretty low.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? So many people! High school and college friends are popping out babies left and right. My ex-boyfriend’s sister’s best friend?! Yup, her too. Babies Everywhere.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, unfortunately. My Grandma, on my dad’s side, passed away the day after her 90th birthday in the spring. Fortunately I got to spend the day with her the week before, on one of her last really good days, and she was so so soooo excited when I told her I was pregnant again (I had literally just found out. Hadn’t had my first beta yet, so it was sort of a gamble to even bring it up).
5. What places did you visit? Ugh, none. We even skipped family vacation, because I had a crapton of doctors appointments once I hit like 25 weeks. We did spend a weekend at the beach, just the two of us, and my morning sickness finally subsided enough for me to eat at my favorite Mexican place, repeatedly.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? Nothing, really. We got everything we really wanted about 10 weeks ago. A winning lottery ticket would be nice though, because that baby was expennnsiiiiive.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? January 24 I flipped my car over. February 3 we won the Superbowl. February 12 was our embryo transfer. September 7 was my baby shower. October 21 Gus was born. A lot of other stuff happened in the middle, I think.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? See above, re: birthing a human.
9. What was your biggest failure? I’m obviously terrible at driving on ice.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Again, see above.
11. What was the best thing you bought? I’m a big fan of our new car. The baby is quite nice too.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Mike’s as usual. I married a saint.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I was seriously pissed at the guy who made my sandwich at Subway the other day. Lettuce, mayo and tomato explosion, with every bite. Sandwich Artist, my ass.
14. Where did most of your money go? Towards that adorable 11 pound baby of ours. At least we hit our deductible really, really quickly.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Dressing a tiny human. And meeting Kevin Nealon!
16. What song will always remind you of 2013? No question:
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier!
b) thinner or fatter? So much thinner! I’d breastfeed this kid forever if it didn’t get so creepy.
c) richer or poorer? Financially poorer, richer in everything else.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? I wish I’d eaten more dairy when I thought I could. And I wish I’d eaten more delicious crap before I found out I had gestational diabeetus.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? I was pretty lazy this year. I don’t know if it’s possible for me to have done less of anything.
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2013? Christmas is usually a really stressful day for me. Growing up with divorced parents meant I had to operate on a tight schedule so there was time to see everyone and open gifts before it was time to move on to the next location/relative. Add in a husband and a stop at the in-laws (who understandably want equal time with, you know, their son), running home to feed the dogs, and now breastfeeding every two hours? Forget it. This year we told everyone we were hanging out at home, come over if you’d like, we’ll have some snacks and alcohol ready to go. We opened presents, ate all day, and watched several Christmas movies. It was wonderful. I smell a new family tradition.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013? I’m in love with this chubby baby, that’s for damn sure.
22. What was your favorite TV program? I just started/finished Orange is the New Black (loved it, obvs) but my heart belongs to Scandal.
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2013? Ahhh, January. That was forever ago! We ate sushi, and Mike covered me in diamonds.
24. What was the best book you read? I loved The Cuckoos Calling by an in disguise JK Rowling. And Serena by Ron Rash was pretty good (Jennifer Lawrence will kill it in 2014, naturally).
25. What did you want and get? The world’s most adorable baby.
26. What did you want and not get? Twins seemed like a good idea back in February, but I was mistaken. One is plenty.
27. What was your favorite film of this year? Catching Fire was soooo good. Yes, I’ll be 33 in two weeks. Pffft. Team Peeta, ya’ll.
28. Did you make some new friends this year? I made some bloggy/Internet friends. That counts, yes?
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I really, really wish I’d done my hair the night we met Kevin Nealon. Priorities, people!
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013? Two words: elastic. waists.
31. What kept you sane? Kept? That’s being generous.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Steve Martin, always and forever.
33. What political issue stirred you the most? Ugh. Politics schmolitics, am I right? They can all suck it.
34. Who did you miss? I miss old friends who aren’t local anymore. A lot of them I’ve know for a long, long time and it’s sad they aren’t around to meet Gus.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013. “A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.”
Also, googly eyes make everything funnier.